Window of Opportunity
It is uncanny how the past, present, and future seem to be closely interconnected. What you worked in the past and achieved will bring you to the present. And what you sow in the present you reap. This would determine what you build and hopefully achieve in the future.
What was it like way back in the Eighties? Besides listening to Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA and Madonna. To the introduction and birth of Windows?
Let me reflect and bring you back to memory lane. Alone and stuck within the four corners of my small blue room. What I have in front of me is my LED 32 inches Changchong television. Beside it, I attached a high-density cable to my newly acquired 15.6 inches Dell 3552.Nothing to boast or brag about. I needed to magnify what I am typing especially because of my poor eyesight and health. What do you expect from a 57 years old middle age guy?
My son graduated at the age of 18 from college and was venturing practically on his own.I remember when I was my son’s age, there were many uncertainties during my time. I was still in college taking my time wondering what to do with the rest of my life.
Back in 1985, In Manila, there were talks of Civil unrest, people were even whispering in the dark corners of Manila of a possible Civil War. Until the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos decided on a snap election for the following year.The rest I guess you can say is History.
Way back in 1985, I met my first girlfriend. I was working part-time as a marketing consultant for a school in Angeles City. Helping promote a new school, funny I was not even aware that I would meet my future wife who hails from Angeles City Pampanga. I would marry her ten years later in 1995, this really shows how the past and present are interconnected.
The age of computers way back in 1985 was still in its infantile stage, Internet was a dream away. Let me share some memory lane what was it like in the middle of 1980s.
Events that transpired in the middle of Nineteen Eighties
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN WAS SWORN for his second terms as the President of the United States.
- Intensity 8.1 Earthquake hits Mexico City and kills 3000 people
- Joint US-French Team located the wreck or the TITANIC
- Talks of Snap Election in the Philippines
- International Youth Year Begins
- Yul Bryner reprises his role in the Broadway hit “The King and I
- Mikael Gorbachev replaces Konstantin Chernenko as Soviet Head
- The first Internet Domain name has been registered. Symbolics.com is registered
- Amadeus Wins 57th Acadamy Awards F Murray Abraham and Sally Fields both win
- Larry Holms TKO David Bey on the 10th round
- A View to a Kill Roger Moore Stars in the 14th James Bond Movie
- Mike Tyson KO Hector Mercedes in his first Professional Fight.
- Moonlight Television Series Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepperd Premiers in CBS in March 1985
- Julian Lennon son of the Legendary Beatle John Lennon has his first Concert
- Michael Jordan Rookie of the Year
What were some of the popular songs I remember in 1985?
- We were the World -the USA for Africa
- Crazy for you -Madonna
- Freeway of Love by Aretha Franklin
- Love theme from St. Elmo’s Fire by David Foster
- Rhythm of the Night by Debarge
- Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen
- Rock Me Amadeus by Falco
- Never Ending Story by Limahl
- Saving All My Love For you by Whitney Houston
- If you Love Somebody by Sting
- One More Night by Phil Collins
- RaspBerry Berret by Prince
- A View to Kill Duran Duran
- Dancing in the Street by Mick Jagger
- Say You Say Me by Lionel Richie
Technology and Events
In the field of Technolgy, there were developments that were slowly emerging and developing in the Market
- Windows 1.0 Microsoft Windows Launched Windows required DOS to run
- Apple Laserwriter
- Texas Instrument TI 410X
- Enhanced Graphics Adaptor released (EGA)
- Amiga 1000
- Commodore 128
- MS-DOS 3.1 AND PC DOS First version of DOS to provide Network Support and provide new functions for NETWORK Support
- The Original Apple Macintosh
- Polaroid 600
- CD-ROM DEVELOPED BY PHILIPS and collaborated with Sony
- 80386 DX released.
- Car Phones started popping out in the market
- Aldus announced Pagemaker
- C++ Programming Language has been published
There will always be new things that will happen in our lives each day. Sometimes we are not aware that there are changes which we unconsciously do not see.
During the eighties, I did not realize I saw the evolution of change in fields of Computer and Information Technology. From Selling boxes Original Computers to Selling Hardware, From Selling Sofware Solutions, to Learning and building the computer Network infrastructure for copper fiber and WI-FI Systems Integration Solution. I was not aware that there would be changes in my life. I only got to realize I should have done more. What instilled in me in the past was plain FEAR. I guess we all have this moment we have to face. Perhaps I now realize the importance of FAITH.
There will always be daily developments, new challenges, new ventures, new opportunities that will be open to you. I know it is unnerving trudging to an unknown frontier that lies ahead. Don’t be scared and take a leap, the only time you should be scared is when you regret you never bothered to take the opportunity.